Tummy time is one of those things that the sooner you do it the better. The more they are exposed to it the more they get used to it and start not minding tummy time. So, that means your newborn can start doing tummy time from the day they get home.
How often should you do tummy time?
In the beginning, you want to start off slow. You can have your baby practice being on their tummy for a few minutes at a time and work your way up.
Your baby may cry and hate it, but that is completely normal. I know it’s hard to hear your baby cry, so just do it a few seconds to a few minutes at a time. They will eventually go longer and longer.
Tummy time milestones
- Newborn. The first few weeks have your baby do tummy time on your chest or stomach is their favorite way to do tummy time.
- One Month. At this point, they will start to turn their head. Having them on the floor and putting a toy in front of them will really get them to do this.
- 2 Months. They are getting used to tummy time at this point. Not fussing over being on the floor, at least as much. They may be slowly lifting their head. They might tilt it to one side and leave it there.
- 3 Months. Your baby may be lifting their head about 45 degrees off the floor with more control. They are able to put their hands in front of them and us their forearms as support.
- 4 Months. They have a lot more control now with their head. Should be able to lift their head about 90 degrees and keep it centered.
- 5 Months. They can fully push their chest off the floor with straight elbows. May start to reach out for toys to grab them.
- 6 Months. By this time your baby is loving tummy time. It gives them the ability to play. They may start to roll from stomach to back and back to stomach.
Tummy time is very important for your baby’s development! It improves your baby’s motor skills, makes neck and shoulder muscles stronger so your baby can start to sit up, crawl, and eventually walk.
Our non-slip tights will help your child to make their first moves easier and safer. Also they are super cute too